Brad does not want to blame DxE, but I am choosing to release this information because I believe that people need to know the facts.
This situation needs to be investigated thoroughly. In the beginning, it was DxE and Brad Johnson vs. Smithfield. How can this be that now it is Brad Johnson Vs. DxE? When I contacted Brad at the end of June and found out how DxE had mislead him, I decided to give him my support. Here is what Brad has said about me.
- Brad Johnson rescued 42 pigs at a Smithfield Pig Farm and Wayne Hsiung/Bonnie Klapper reached out to offer support
- DxE created a fundraiser for Brad so he could get back on his feet. DxE raised $18k.
- Brad came out to California to support DxE, with Wayne’s promise that he would have full legal support. Brad hoped that the case would yield a Right to Rescue law.
- Wayne knew that once Brad aligned with DxE, his family, friends and entire community would turn against Brad. Brad trusted DxE to basically protect him and his family.
- DxE made him sign a contract that allowed him to receive just $200 a week as a stipend for doing animal rights work
- The fundraiser was misleading. Although he got some initial needs met from the fundraiser, the $200 a week did not help him get back on his feet as promised.
- Jon Frohnmayer was assigned to help Brad do weekly 8 hours of activism in order to earn the stipend. Brad contacted Jon, and never heard back. Here is a correspondence I had with Jon.
- When Brad returned to North Carolina after bonding and touring with Wayne and other organizers, Bonnie Klapper, attorney, was Brad’s only contact.
- Jessie Scharff says he is leaving North Carolina and his career, and cannot take Brad’s case.
- Bonnie Klapper says she paid $2000 out of her own pocket to pay for a lawyer, Jessie Scharff
- Jessie says that he did the case pro bono, and that $2000 is in an account that was to be used for something else besides paying him.
- Jessie tells me (on a second call) that he never said he took on Brad’s case probono. He says he was paid $2000 to do the work for Brad. (This is getting really confusing)
- Bonnie writes disrespectful words, including canceling out Wayne’s commitment to help Brad get back on his feet.
- Bonnie Klapper slanders Brad publicly on Facebook.
- Bonnie says that Brad should use funds that were supposed to help him get back on his feet–for his legal fees.
- DxE is dropping all legal support for Brad. DxE has totally let Brad down.
- Even though DxE says on a petition that Brad’s case is groundbreaking, DxE will not say why they are giving up on this case.
I have screenshots of communications between Attorney Bonnie Klapper and Brad that prove my allegations. If I am wrong, I risk being sued by DxE, an organization which has plenty of lawyers who can easily come after me. I have evidence which I will continue to publish on my blog. I am not afraid.
I am encouraging people to go to the Attorney General to report DxE. I have repeatedly asked the core and other organizers to work with me so that I don’t need to take this drastic measure. I have received zero responses to my emails. I hope that DxE leaders will admit their mistakes and make amends.
I encourage you to write firstname.lastname@example.org This is the email you use to issue complaints.